Online Master of Data Science Admission Requirements
The online Master of Data Science program is ideal for working professionals who want to launch or enhance their careers in data science. With flexible class schedules and a rigorous curriculum, students gain valuable skills and experience in a fully-online environment. The MDS@Rice program is now accepting applications, apply online today.
APPLYING TO THE PROGRAM
Earning Your Degree Online Starts Here
Join other working professionals to build your data science skills to advance your career and increase your earning potential.
GRE NOT REQUIRED
The GRE is not required for admission to the online Master of Science in Data Science program. Instead, your work experience will be evaluated.
THREE START DATES PER YEAR
The online MDS program offers three start dates a year: fall, spring and summer. Choose the start date that works best for your schedule.
Prerequisites for MDS@Rice
A Completed Bachelor’s Degree
All candidates must have a Bachelor's degree, but it is not a strict requirement that it be in a computational field.
You will be taught the relevant statistics and mathematics necessary to succeed in data science. However, this material can be complex, especially if you do not have an appropriate mathematical background, specifically high-school level algebra and trigonometry, college-level calculus, basic discrete math skills, and boolean logic. If you need a refresh in mathematics or programming, learn more about our online bridge courses being offered this summer.
You will be taught how to program so that you can succeed in data science. However, this will be a much smoother experience if you already have some level of comfort in basic programming.
- GRE: For 2021, Rice is eliminating the Graduate Records Examination (GRE) standardized test requirement for its graduate programs, and the GRE is not required for admission to the online Master of Science in Data Science program, though it is recommended. This is in recognition of the fact that the GRE may be a significant obstacle for working professionals applying to graduate programs. If you are able to take the GRE, please submit your scores with your application. If GRE results are absent from an application, work experience will be evaluated instead. You may submit your GRE scores sent directly to Rice University using code: 6609 (GRE subject tests are not required).
- TOEFL Scores: Applicants who are foreign nationals or whose native language is not English must take either the TOEFL or IELTS test and must score at least 90 on the iBT TOEFL. For those students who choose to take the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7. The TOEFL school code for Rice is 6609. The TOEFL and IELTS are not necessary for an international student who has received a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication.
Required Application Material
- Recommendations should be requested from at least 3 individuals. Recommendation letters should be requested from at least three individuals. These letters should be from professors, research advisors, direct supervisors or others familiar with your relevant educational or professional experiences and your interest in data science. Please do not submit letters from friends or colleagues. You may submit more than three letters, but at least three are required with your application. Visit the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Admissions page for additional information.
- Transcripts and Unofficial transcripts may be submitted with your application. Both official and unofficial transcripts may be submitted with your application. Upon acceptance into the program, you will be asked to send official transcripts. In addition, please submit a current CV or resume with your application.
- Have your GRE scores sent directly to Rice University using code: 6609 (GRE subject tests are not required). If an applicant has relevant industry experience, the Admission Committee will factor in work experience and the recommendation of your current supervisor in lieu of GRE scores when evaluating the application.
- A Statement of Purpose is required for all applicants. This statement should clearly and succinctly summarize your past academic and professional experience and achievements, discuss your motivation for seeking the MDS degree, and explain your interest in data science and goals for applying the discipline to real-world challenges and for advancing your career. You should also briefly discuss any other factors you would like the Admission Committee to consider while reviewing your application (e.g. personal background, work experience, leadership roles, etc.).
- TOEFL/IELTS scores are required for any applicants who are foreign nationals or whose native language is not English. The code to send the electronic scores is: 6609. TOEFL score, the minimum is 90 on the iBT & 600 on the paper-based TOEFL. IELTS score, the minimum is 7. This requirement is automatically waived for eligible applicants who upload their transcripts from an English-speaking university into this application showing a degree in progress or conferred.
- A current CV or resume is required to be submitted with your application.
- You're ready for admission! Make sure to include your application fee of $85.00 upon submission.
Students in the online Master of Science in Data Science program will pay the standard Rice University part-time rate of $1666.70 per credit hour. The program requires a minimum of 31 credit hours to satisfy degree requirements.
Ready to Apply?
We offer three intakes per year, so choose the best time to start for you:
|SESSION||APPLICATION DUE||CLASSES START|
|SPRING 2022||November 1, 2021||January 10, 2022|
|SUMMER 2022||March 1, 2022||May 10, 2022|
|FALL 2022||July 1, 2022||August 22, 2022|