5 Steps to Get Started
First, congratulations on making it here! We know applying to graduate school is a big decision and an important life milestone. Thank you for considering Rice University to help you advance your career in data science & analytics, business analytics, and machine learning/AI.
Follow these 5 steps to apply to the Online Master of Data Science degree program:
- Review the MDS@Rice Prerequisites Review the admission requirements and prerequisites on the OMDS Admissions page. To connect with a Coach or to be notified about upcoming 2023-2024 information sessions, submit our form and we'll get back to you within business hours.
- Start Your Application
Our online graduate programs offer 3 start dates per year (Fall, Spring, and Summer) and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Register for an account to start a new application. After creating an account, declare your intended Term (Fall, Spring or Summer) and fill out your personal information. Term of Intent may be updated at any time.
- Gather Your Supporting Documents and Materials
Prepare the required application materials, including:
- Your updated resume or CV
- Official or unofficial transcript(s): Prospective students can provide official or unofficial transcripts with their application. If accepted, you will be asked to provide an official transcript prior to class registration.
- Your statement of purpose: Your statement of purpose should provide an overview of your academic and professional experience and your motivation to pursue your MDS degree.
- Why are you interested in data science & analytics, machine learning/AI and/or business analytics?
- What are your goals upon program completion to advance your career and the data science field?
- Why are you interested in attending Rice University for graduate school?
- Two letters of recommendation: Program applicants must provide letters of recommendation from two individuals. These letters can come from professors, direct supervisors, individuals familiar with your relevant education or professional experience, and/or research advisors.
Prepare these optional materials, if applicable:
- GRE scores: (Use code 6609). Note: The GRE test is not required, but is recommended for applicants without a technical or programming background.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores
- Pay the Application Fee
Once you’ve uploaded all necessary materials, you’re ready to pay the $85 application fee.
- Submit Your Completed Application before the Intake Deadline!
Submit your application by logging into your existing account and submitting your completed application online. Make sure to proofread and double-check that all requirements are met. Now, you’re ready to submit online!
Alternatively, you may mail your application to:
Attn: George R. Brown School of Engineering
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX 77005
That’s it! Rice’s Admissions Committee will review your graduate OMDS application and come back with a decision. For status updates, connect with your Enrollment Coach or log-in to the Rice portal.
We offer three intakes per year, so you can choose the best time to start for you. For more information on program prerequisites, view Admission requirements.
|SESSION||EARLY APPLICATION DUE||APPLICATION DUE||CLASSES START|
|FALL 2023||May 1, 2023||July 1, 2023||August 21, 2023|
|SPRING 2024||October 1, 2023||November 1, 2023||January 8, 2024|
|SUMMER 2024||March 1, 2024||April 29, 2024|
Get in Touch
Send us your information and a Rice Enrollment Coach will follow up with you.