5 Steps to Get Started
First, congratulations on making it here! We know applying to graduate school is a big decision and an important life milestone. Thank you for considering Rice University to help you advance your career in computer science, software engineering, data engineering, technical product management, cyber, and more.
Follow these 5 steps to apply to the Online Master of Computer Science degree program:
- Review the MCS@Rice Prerequisites Review the admission requirements and prerequisites on the OMCS Admissions page. To connect with a Coach or to be notified about upcoming 2022-2023 information sessions, submit our form and we'll get back to you within business hours.
- Start Your Application
Our online graduate programs offer 3 start dates per year (Fall, Spring, and Summer) and applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Register for an account to start a new application. After creating an account, declare your intended Term (Fall, Spring or Summer) and fill out your personal information.
- Gather Your Supporting Documents and Materials
Prepare the required application materials, including:
- Your updated resume or CV
- Official or unofficial transcript(s): Prospective students can provide official or unofficial transcripts with their application. If accepted, you will be asked to provide an official transcript prior to class registration.
- Your statement of purpose: Your statement of purpose should provide an overview of your academic and professional experience and your motivation to pursue your MCS degree.
- Why are you interested in advanced computer science, software and data systems, technical product management, AI/machine learning, and/or cybersecurity?
- What are your goals upon program completion to advance your career and the computer science field?
- Why are you interested in attending Rice University for graduate school?
- Two letters of recommendation: Program applicants must provide letters of recommendation from two individuals. These letters can come from professors, direct supervisors, individuals familiar with your relevant education or professional experience, and/or research advisors.
Prepare these optional materials, if applicable:
- GRE scores: (Use code 6609). Note: The GRE test is not required for applicants with 3.0+ GPAs, but is highly-recommended for applicants with lower GPAs, limited work experience, or a lack of demonstrated technical or programming experience.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores
- Pay the Application Fee
Once you’ve uploaded all necessary materials, you’re ready to pay the $85 application fee.
- Submit Your Completed Application before the Intake Deadline!
Submit your application by logging into your existing account and submitting your completed application online. Make sure to proofread and double-check that all requirements are met. Now, you’re ready to submit online!
Alternatively, you may mail your application to:
Attn: George R. Brown School of Engineering
6100 Main St.
Houston, TX 77005
That’s it! Rice’s Admissions Committee will review your graduate OMCS application and come back with a decision. For status updates, connect with your Enrollment Coach or log-in to the Rice portal.
|SESSION||APPLICATION DUE||CLASSES START|
|SUMMER 2023||March 1, 2023||May 1, 2023|
|FALL 2023||July 1, 2023||August 21, 2023|
|SPRING 2024||November 1, 2023||January 8, 2024|
Get in Touch
Send us your information and a Rice Enrollment Coach will follow up with you.
Rice University is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment. Accordingly, Rice University does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected categories under the law, in its admissions policies, educational programs, or employment of faculty or staff. Anyone with questions and/or complaints regarding discrimination or sexual misconduct (such as sexual harassment) under Title IX may contact the Executive Director of Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator at:
Dr. Richard Anthony Baker
Office of Access, Equity and Equal Opportunity
6100 Main Street MS 130 Houston, TX 77005
For full details, please view the university's nondiscrimination policy.